Dismiss Notice
How Does This Work?

You create a free account and set a Gmail filter to forward your Ingress email damage reports.

The damage reports are processed in realtime into the Outgress analytics and alerting engine.

That's the short version.

Is This Allowed?

We believe so, but you decide.

But My Secret Data!

No one on the opposing faction cares who on their team is attacking you. Do you care who on your team is attacking opposing portals?

Create alerts for Portals that Outgress does not yet know about

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by TheSned, May 26, 2017.

1. I know we can create an "Any Activity" area on the map that can be tied to an alert group, but it's limited to just 1 such area. There are multiple "areas" that I want to watch for activity but the portal doesn't exist in Outgress yet.

It would be nice to either be able to define multiple areas of "any activity" interest, or allow creation of alerts based on the name of the portal that would trigger even if the portal doesn't exist in Outgress.

2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Administrator Staff Member Illuminator Enlightened L15

Something like that was talked about in the past, but ultimately was nixed for a couple reasons:
    • Portals that don't exist ultimately is a temporary issue (in theory anyway).
    • The "Any Activity" perimeter alerts have a very high resource requirement on the backend. Basically doing geometry calculations for millions of portals worldwide on the fly in realtime every time an alert comes in. They are intentionally limited to one per user because I want to discourage use, but they are available if someone *must* monitor one area at least.
    • Alerts based on portal name is a bad idea because portal names aren't unique. There's literally thousands of portals named "Heritage Park" or "Church of God". It would be pretty rare to find a portal name that is actually unique (there are some, but it's not common).
    Depending on how many portals we are talking about here, if you give me a list of them (give me the normal ingress.com Intel links), I can manually get them added to the system before it sees them in an email damage report.

TheSned likes this.
  3. digitalpoint

4. Would it be possible for us to manually teach the system about portals we care about? Either by by filling out a form with Ingress.com/intel links, or entering portal IDs, or some other method?
    That way, we can set up alerts for portals in areas that don't get too much activity, if need be.

5. digitalpoint

Can't really be done in an automated way unfortunately. Would require scraping ingress.com Intel which we don't do in any form.

If you have a few (don't drop like 100 on me), I can get them added manually if you post the ingress.com Intel links here.

6. I'm not talking about automatic, but rather crowd sourcing it to us users

7. digitalpoint

Nah... you would have issues where some users might think it's cute/funny to insert fake portals (or just accidentally enter them wrong), so there would always need to be a way to validate them.

8. I see the problem. Fair enough. Bummer.

9. How do I add such an alert? I can't seem to find this option anywhere.

Thanks!

10. N/M, found it. It's the opposition alert on the intel map.

Thanks!