Dismiss Notice
How Does This Work?

You create a free account and set a Gmail filter to forward your Ingress email damage reports.

The damage reports are processed in realtime into the Outgress analytics and alerting engine.

That's the short version.

Is This Allowed?

We believe so, but you decide.

But My Secret Data!

No one on the opposing faction cares who on their team is attacking you. Do you care who on your team is attacking opposing portals?

Request: Stack portal groups on intel map

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by DvdrH, Oct 23, 2016.

1. DvdrH

DvdrH New Member Resistance L13

Would be nice if we could select multiple groups to show on the intel map.
    Maybe add a checkmark in front of the name of the group wich will select/deselect when you click on the groupname?

2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Administrator Staff Member Illuminator Enlightened L15

Well one thing that pops into my head here is that there is some value in keeping the UI simple. Once you start doing that, you end up with additional menus (since you would need checkboxes). There is also some internal complexity with how you want to handle multiple portal groups that contain the same portal. Not sure the added UI complexity itself is worth it for what would probably be a lightly used function to be honest.

3. DvdrH

I would like to give you an example why this could come in handy.
    I devided my portals into 3 seperate groups:
    - Important portals (highest prio)
    - Portals in my neighbourhood (medium prio)
    - Portals in our city "farm"

I did not put portals in multiple groups.
    So in this case I cannot select / show all portals in my groups.

What I could do is make another group "all of them".... guess that works too. Just needs more work, especially when changing groups / deleting portals. That would mean a change in multiple groups.

4. digitalpoint

What sort of real world scenario would you need to be pulling all groups up on the map at once?

5. DvdrH

Well at this point in time, to check if I have got all the portals within my groups.
    Yes, I am one of those players that keeps portals under our control that are in "my" part of the city :)
    I just started and it seems there was no other player using Outgress (yet) in my region, so I need to wait for the damagereports to add the portals to the map.
    Only with "all" or "new discovery" I can see them, but without the possibility to stack it's not easy to see which ones still need to be grouped.

Maybe another solution would be to add "non grouped portals"?

6. digitalpoint

Not sure if showing ungrouped portals would be much better since you still would be limited to the one portal group you are hiding portals for. How far apart geographically are your portal groups? If they are in the same place, why split them up into multiple groups to begin with?

Maybe irrelevant if you didn't have email damage reports enabled before Outgress, but you can import your email damage report history to quickly populate an area. Works for other users in your play area too of course, so if you want to populate the region instantly, maybe ask people in your local play area if they can populate the area with their damage reports or something?

7. DvdrH

When i can show ungrouped portals I can easily select them to assign them to a group.
    Geographically the portals are maybe placable in a box of 4km x 6km. I split them up because about 10 portals are almost always lvl8 that we keep up to farm. They are all in one street. So for these I want a high prio group (and assigned Telegram alert for those).
    For others I too have a warning. And the rest group have no warning by telegram.
    Indeed the e-mail reports were disabled before, so no history. And no other players near me using Outgress (yet).

8. digitalpoint

Well no promises, but let me see if I can figure out a way to do it somehow without adding klugey complexity.

DvdrH likes this.
  9. sarahk

sarahk Member Illuminator Explorer Enlightened L13

Could it be as simple as adding tags to the portals and then being able to select a "tag" to filter by. I use them in one of my systems to bypass the many user requests for "spare-field-1" etc.

10. digitalpoint

Well truthfully, tagging portals on a per user basis is way more complex internally on my end than I really want to deal with. Tagging systems normally are per content, not per content *and* per user. For example if you added tags to this thread, they are public and seen by all. If you wanted to have private many-to-many tags (you could have multiple tags assigned to an individual portal and those tags are also unique to the user tagging them). Just might be too much work for something that (probably) wouldn't be hugely used.

The original suggestion of being able to display multiple portal groups would definitely be easier development-wise.