Dismiss Notice
How Does This Work?

You create a free account and set a Gmail filter to forward your Ingress email damage reports.

The damage reports are processed in realtime into the Outgress analytics and alerting engine.

That's the short version.

Is This Allowed?

We believe so, but you decide.

But My Secret Data!

No one on the opposing faction cares who on their team is attacking you. Do you care who on your team is attacking opposing portals?

Discord Bot

Discussion in 'Support' started by Wesley, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Wesley

Wesley New Member Enlightened L5

Is the Discord bot still working? I've added it to my server but it always appears offline.

2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Administrator Staff Member Illuminator Enlightened L15

Yes that’s normal. It’s a write only bot, it doesn’t see what’s being said in the channel, so that’s why it appears offline.

3. Forte

Forte New Member Enlightened L13

is there documentation anywhere about the Discord bot? I was expecting it to work the same way as the slack bot did. With the ability to actually send it commands for lookups.

Plus, it doesn't seem to be working at all, I set up a few notification regions last night, got some Ingress attack notifications this afternoon, and nothing ever popped up in the Discord server.

4. digitalpoint

The Discord bot is only used as an alert destination (Discord bots don't support slash commands like Slack or Telegram does, so you won't be able to query it... so that part not working is unfortunately "normal").

As far as using Discord as an alert destination, that does seem to be working as expected... just did some testing and it worked okay for me.

In-game attack alerts/push notifications have different criteria for sending out vs. email damage reports... Check your email and see if you got an email damage report for the attacks in question.

5. Forte

Okay, after you verified it works I double checked permissions Looks like the bot didn't have the perms to message the correct channel. That was my bad. Not sure why it let me select that

For the commands bit... Discord does support bots getting commands though. I have lots of bots I use on discord that support receiving commands. That's kind of the whole point of it being a bot instead of just a regular webhook. You might as well take the bot down, save some resources on your end, and just make them based on the normal webhooks with customizable json forms. Then we'd be able to do things like hook outrgress into IFTTT and all sorts of webhook compatible things.

6. digitalpoint

Discord only supports bots getting everything from a channel and then parsing through all the messages looking for commands. That would be the resource hog to have to receive all the messages from thousands of channels looking for the 1 in 10,000 that is a slash command intended for Outgress. Slash and Telegram support defining the bots slash commands so they are only sent the messages relevant to it. Once Discord has a way for a bot to receive commands without being flooded with all messages in the channel, it could be something we look at.

But until that happens, I'm not going to allow every Discord channel with Outgress installed in it to send us every little message in the channel (could also argue it's a security risk to be sending all your communication to a bot).

7. Forte

Dang :( not even as a self-hostable bot? I'd be willing to self host one to get that featureset.

8. digitalpoint

I would think it would be a lot simpler to just fire up Telegram than host your own bot... no? Lol

9. Forte

I'm using outgress is an XFAC server, so security isn't an issue as opsec is already out the window with it being xfac, and switching platforms wasn't really on the table. I already host my own bot for miscord.net, a discord to FB messenger chat bridge, so adding a different bot to run side by side on that RP3B+ would be worth it. I just don't know how to code something like that :/

10. Forte

Looking back on this thread though I suppose, the activity feed I've spun up in the discord is basically just a gimmick, and the lookup commands wouldn't likely have much use.. Though it would be nice to have it in our actual faction discord