Dismiss Notice
How Does This Work?

You create a free account and set a Gmail filter to forward your Ingress email damage reports.

The damage reports are processed in realtime into the Outgress analytics and alerting engine.

That's the short version.

Is This Allowed?

We believe so, but you decide.

But My Secret Data!

No one on the opposing faction cares who on their team is attacking you. Do you care who on your team is attacking opposing portals?

Smart Portal Groups [updated weekly based on user-predefined polyline perimeter]

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by PaTChBuZ006+outgress, May 8, 2016.

1. Portal Groups are currently defined based on a static selection of portals; however, as new portals are fed into the system, they are left omitted. I realize it would be resource intensive to calculate portals within a region/zone/area on-the-fly so, I propose a practical workaround.

It would be helpful to instead automatically regenerate the portal group based on a user pre-defined zone outline. The smart/dynamic portal zone would be a meta group that generates a cached portal group. A basic tool would need to be introduced that allowed the user to draw the line segments that surrounded the zone but I believe there are libraries to do exactly that. For alerts, the user-defined zone would be listed among the selectable portal groups but have a special notation that indicates it's not a standard portal group.

2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Administrator Staff Member Illuminator Enlightened L15

It wouldn't be that hard (from a technical standpoint), but I'm wondering if adding something like that would add some UX complexity for end users who might not understand what it's for. Something like that would also become less useful over time as the system discovers a more complete set of portals. Would maybe the perimeter alerts where you just draw on the map to cover a specific area (rather than a set of exact portals) be what you need? You can do a perimeter alert for "any activity" in the area already...

3. The perimeter is a circle, is it not? Most farms and portal groups are oddly shaped so you couldn't get a precise set of portals. For larger farms that's less desirable. You'd have to omit some portals and/or include extraneous ones nearby. That's fine for getting a rough sense of where attacks are happening.

Assuming Niantic never finishes processing existing submissions and never reopens new portal submissions, the system might catch up. Portals are still changing even if much less than a year and a half ago. [EDIT:Also helpful if portals are moved]

I don't know what you want to do as far as simplifying for users. I don't imagine that the least technical players are doing the alert set up. My personal opinion is if the can't understand it, recommend that they don't use it

Last edited: May 8, 2016
  4. The new "show recently discovered portals" feature could help with this. Show each of your defined portal groups in turn as a reminder of your selection criteria then select the option to show only recently discovered portals, then select these and add them to the current portal group then move on to the next portal group until you've done them all.