Dismiss Notice
How Does This Work?

You create a free account and set a Gmail filter to forward your Ingress email damage reports.

The damage reports are processed in realtime into the Outgress analytics and alerting engine.

That's the short version.

Is This Allowed?

We believe so, but you decide.

But My Secret Data!

No one on the opposing faction cares who on their team is attacking you. Do you care who on your team is attacking opposing portals?

Declined Portal Classification System

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by rhokstar, Jan 24, 2016.

1. rhokstar

rhokstar New Member Explorer Enlightened L15

Initial idea:
    • Can be user defined and/or auto-assigned/inferred by algorithm (experimental data-model)
    Classification of portals by usage:
    • Anchor
      • Heavy Anchor
        • Consistently has 5 or more links and/or fields
        • Located in highly trafficked area
        • Average portal level 7 to 8
        • High propensity for very rare shielding mods
      • Medium Anchor
        • Consistently has 4 or more links and/or fields
        • Are usually medium to highly trafficked area
        • Average portal level 5 to 7
      • Light Anchor
        • Consistently has 2 to 3 links and/or fields
        • Are usually low to medium highly trafficked area
        • Average portal level 5 to 6
    • Farming
      • Power hack
      • Flip building
      • Short walking distances between portals (10 yards or less)
      • Work or home portal
    • Battle Zone (portal ownership frequently changes sides)
    Sub Attributes:
    • Usually used for
      • Mega fielding
      • Local fielding
      • Guardian
    • Restricted area
      • Private neighborhood
      • Private organization
      • Government or military controlled area
    • Accessible only during these times (HH:MM, month, day, range)
    • Usually controlled by (use system data and/or user defined):
      • Enlightened
      • Resistance
    • Little to no data reception
      • AT&T
      • Verizon
      • T-Mobile
      • Sprint
      • Other

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Administrator Staff Member Illuminator Enlightened L15

One thing I'd want to think about is the line you start to cross and the value between simplicity and overly complex.

Like first thing would be what sort of information solves a problem people have? Like have you ever been like, "I wish I knew how many links come out of this portal normally?" for a portal you didn't already know about?

Once you start going down the road of trying to classify everything you can think of, you also take on the burden of trying to keep that data up to date when things change over time.

Some of the things could be determined automatically (things like flip build locations)... maybe "battle zones" just based on the frequency of attacks.

The stuff that (to me) *does* solve problems people have are things like coverage and access restrictions. But I'm thinking for simplicity maybe the existing notes system is best for that. Like if I'm looking at a portal and I see there are notes about it (regarding anything), and I'm interested in researching that portal, I'm going to want to see all the notes for it. The notes also are free-form so aren't going to be limited to attributes you pre-define.

Free-form notes vs. structured data really comes down to if you want to search on individual attributes. So as an example, would you ever be searching for portals based on the number of links they usually have (vs how many they have now... which the normal Ingress Intel map would be better for "now")? Or searching for a portal that tends to be a certain faction? And searching implies you are searching for portals you don't already know about (otherwise you wouldn't be searching).

I could see maybe a few of the items in the list being searchable attributes, but I'm thinking most of that stuff is probably better suited for the notes system... when you are interested in all information you can get about a specific portal.

rhokstar likes this.
  3. rhokstar

rhokstar New Member Explorer Enlightened L15

I agree with your vision of simplicity. Earlier, I was thinking along the lines of classification by crowdsourcing within Enlightened players much like Wikipedia. Each portal is known for something and so combining unstructured and structured data can lead to further computing for sophisticated predictive analytics.

4. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Administrator Staff Member Illuminator Enlightened L15

I'll keep thinking about it... I like the idea in principle, it's just the problem of how you keep stuff up to date. I think I heard somewhere there were 24 million portals in the game. That ends up being a whole lot of data to keep up to date via crowdsourcing.