Dismiss Notice
How Does This Work?

You create a free account and set a Gmail filter to forward your Ingress email damage reports.

The damage reports are processed in realtime into the Outgress analytics and alerting engine.

That's the short version.

Is This Allowed?

We believe so, but you decide.

But My Secret Data!

No one on the opposing faction cares who on their team is attacking you. Do you care who on your team is attacking opposing portals?

Can outgress process damage notifications from players who don't set up an account on the website?

Discussion in 'Support' started by PaTChBuZ006+outgress, May 8, 2016.

1. Setting up a account on this website allows a user to set up integration but can an agent just configure forwardingof email sent from ingress client so that the agent provides attack data and portal data for use by others who have already set up integration?

2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Administrator Staff Member Illuminator Enlightened L15

Yep... If someone wants to contribute data without an account, all they need to do is set up the forward. If they later decide to make an account, all the old data they forwarded will be retroactively linked to the account they create.

3. Nice! Exactly what I hoped to hear.

Was worried there may be some security or consistency concern

4. digitalpoint

Nope, the system does validate incoming emails originated from Niantic and are unaltered (via DKIM headers), but if it's a valid, unaltered damage report, the system will accept it.

In fact, the forwarding instructions change slightly when you are logged in here vs a guest (no need to check the email in your account here since you don't have one).

5. Is there some way to redact the contributing Agent Name on email forwarded to me before I forward to Outgress?

6. digitalpoint

There is not. Outgress does not process emails that didn't originate from Niantic servers or (the important part here) ones that were altered in any way. Otherwise you end up with the ability of users to feed in fake data.

That being said, the system never shows who sent what damage report. Like you can't look up an agent and see any any damage report they sent or see an attack report on a portal and see which agent(s) triggered it.

7. Convincing our local agents to contribute prompted this question. Looks like they can forward to me and my filter will just push them on to you, yes?
    Have you heard of any outgress related bans?

8. digitalpoint

Yes, as long as the email comes unaltered (Gmail doesn't alter emails when using a forwarding filter), it would be fine.

There have not been any Outgress related bans. It's not against Ingress terms of service to share information about portal attacks. That's not to say Niantic would never ban, because technically they can terminate any account without reason if they want. That being said, I'd probably be the first to be banned if they were going to go that route (Niantic is aware of Outgress and has contacted me about Outgress, and the net result was that a few Niantic employees started using Outgress).

Iuzifer likes this.